Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Letters to Africa

So i have been writing a lot lately... and i have been looking back a lot lately. i've been revisiting my life and my heart and just taking stock of all the adventures the Lord has brought me through. i had to laugh at myself a little bit today, because while looking through some old pictures i had this thought: "man, i have really have lived an incredible life so far. im ready for heaven." hahaha sometimes i have to remind myself to slow down a bit. heaven is my longing, but im here now. i keep forgetting. (although i can empathize with Paul in Phillipians when he says it is better by far to depart and be with Jesus).
but anyway. i was looking back. i HAVE lived a great life so far. and im filled with peace when the memories come. praise God for them.

i was looking back to a journey i went on several years ago, and the Lord reawakened something very dear to my heart. my love for the brothers and sisters in Africa. it seems like i had almost forgotten all the Lord taught me through them, and how i love their kindness in poverty and their life-filled eyes. i grew so much then, and the lessons from that journey i have kept with me to date. i dont want to forget the people. i can't.

so i wrote. as i often do. my heart beats in lyrical fashion. it may be that only the people who went to Botswana with me all those years ago can really understand this poem. since its really very personal. but i just want to say thank you to that team. thank you to the Lord. and thank you to Botswana. i promise i wont forget you.

Letters to Africa
I wont forget, no I wont forget you.

Raging summer of fire’s end
Wind-chilled nights in the desert land
A tree for shade with its roots in sand
And the people know we’re there.

Salvation comes and creation groans
To see His daughters, see His sons
For praise from voices and not just stones
His people join the song.

And I wont forget, no I wont forget you.
I wont forget, no I wont forget you.

The dark continent sees specs of light
When unity comes the nations sigh
We praise as one and fires rise
He shows us by His hand.

We’ve learned to love the rising sun
We’ve learned that breath revives the dust
Of wisdom gained and peaceful touch
Sit back, and breathe Him in.

And I wont forget, no I wont forget you.
I wont forget, no I wont forget you.

Africa, I wont forget you.
Botswana, love, I wont forget you.
To the people in turmoil, with life in your eyes
I wont forget, no I wont forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment